Interested in staying informed about the process and needs of the Coordinated Community Plan to end youth homelessness?
Please fill out this form to get on our contact list: form. (If you aren’t able to use the google form, please download this form, fill it out, and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org: form )
We’re CREATING A COORDINATED COMMUNITY PLAN
Our kick-off meeting was held on January 12 th to introduce our YAB, our YHDP project teams, and to get us all started on this wild ride that is YHDP. To get up to speed, you'll find the recording of the Kick-off and all Community Partner meetings here:
We will be meeting every Friday 1-3pm through March 2024 to work on different parts of the CCP, so please join us at this zoom link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81752728416 PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN AT ANY TIME, NO NEED TO HAVE ATTENDED PREVIOUSLY!
Is EDUCATION your wheelhouse?
We have targeted meetings on the links between education and youth homelessness meeting every other Friday at 11am: https://meet.google.com/mfj-kdzr-zas
There is also a monthly meeting with all other YHDP recipients in our round on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 3:00 pm:
The Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP) is a federal initiative designed to reduce the number of unaccompanied youth (including parenting youth), under age 25, who are experiencing homelessness as defined by HUD. YHDP was co-developed between the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Youth and Young Adults (YYA) with lived experience of homelessness.
You also know that to be successful - YHDP must be Youth Led and Youth Informed as well as a community collaboration! A requirement for selection and success of a YHDP community is the development and on-going support of a Youth Advisory Board (YAB), consisting of YYA with lived experiences of housing instability and homelessness. The YAB informs the direction of YHDP and takes leadership in all decisions made. YAB members are equitably compensated for their time and expertise. Our YAB is at the front of everything YHDP does, but we also need community engagement and support.
We are excited to say that we have now assembled representatives from all 20 of our Local Planning Bodies and organizations representing all these services:
· Youth service providers working in health care, mental health, substance use clinics – e.g. adolescent school health centers, Ryan White service providers, local health departments, local community mental health.
· Homeless youth and runaway service providers/all homeless service providers engaging with young people under age 25
· Entities that serve Black, Latino, Indigenous youth
· Entities that serve LGBTQ+ youth
· Education partners – e.g. Head Start and child care providers, McKinney-Vento liaisons, community colleges and universities, after-school providers
· Workforce partners – e.g. Michigan Works! Job Corp
· Child welfare partners – e.g. foster care and adoption agencies, Michigan Youth Opportunity Initiative (MYOI) partners, kinship family organizations
· Law enforcement, juvenile justice service providers, judges
· Local and state government – e.g. MDHHS, MDE, MDOC
· Public Housing authorities, affordable housing providers, landlords
· Disability advocacy or service organizations
We have been provided with Technical Assistance professionals who will guide us in the development of a Coordinated Community Plan (CCP) so that you can identify the areas where you can help most. We have started developing a Statement of Need. That’s where you help us paint the picture of youth homelessness in our rural Balance of State CoC.
Once again, we are asking you to share your expertise and talent and join us to create a CCP that is responsive and comprehensive to the needs identified by our community.
It’s not too late for you to share this invitation with anyone you know of in the Michigan Balance of State geographic area who could help add to our discussion. Just ask them to let us know if they are interested and how they would like to participate by completing this form.
Which counties are in the Balance of State CoC? Click here for map